Teens in 8th grade or higher may begin our 2-year Confirmation program, with classes meeting weekly at St. Patrick’s during the school year. Registration is required.
As they begin to develop a sense of their place and purpose in the world, teenagers are invited to make a commitment to their Catholic faith. Through this two-year program, teens are given a rigorous education in Scripture, Sacraments, theology, morality, and much more. A team of catehcists teaches weekly lessons, helps teens grow as people of service, and inspires in them a desire to grow in faith and love of our God. Students who begin the program in the fall of 8th grade will be eligible to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation in the spring of 9th grade or fall of 10th.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the program? Why?
The Confirmation program lasts two years, as required by the Diocese of Rochester. While the length of the program does allow us the time to offer in-depth lessons on a broad variety of important topics, the true gift of the time investment lies in helping teens build a relationship with God as they get to know their peers and their catechists.
What are the program requirements?
- Weekly Mass attendance
- 17 classes/25 hours of instruction each year
- Annual retreat
- Annual candidate/parent meeting
- Annual service component
- Year 1: reflections on service in class
- Year 2: reflections on service in class AND group service project
- Scripture reflections – held in class
- Parent education on the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Additional Year 2 requirements:
- Candidate/sponsor meeting
- Interview to determine readiness
- Reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Rehearsal for reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation
What about my son/daughter in Catholic school?
Any student enrolled in a Catholic school has the “module” requirements met at school, and does not need to attend weekly classes at St. Katharine Drexel Parish (but they are more than welcome to!). These students will not be charged a full enrollment fee, as they will not need us to order books, but may be charged for retreats. They should join us for the required parts of the program that are not met at school, including:
- Any parent or sponsor meetings
- Yearly retreats
- Group service projects
- Immediate Preparation: A period of six weeks leading up to the celebration of Confirmation, including an interview with Fr. Laird, a retreat, three classes, and a rehearsal.
Where can I find the calendar for this year’s classes?