Social Ministry/Social Justice is the activator for the organized response of the parish to the various needs of society. Jesus’ life and works provide the model for social ministries, bringing the values, visions, and teachings of Jesus to bear on the social concerns of today. Today, as disciples of Christ, we need to be aware of our community’s needs, and seek to meet them. Social Ministry Teams are the leaven which enable the parish to exercise such ministry for all people of God.
Our Social Ministry Team serves the people of Macedon, Palmyra and the surrounding Wayne County in a number of ways:
- Emergency assistance for households in need of rent, utilities, prescriptions, etc.
- The Macedon Food Pantry, which is located in the basement of St. Patrick’s Church, is hosted by our parish and invites the participation of other churches and community organizational support.
- The Palmyra Food Pantry which is located in the basement of Zion Episcopal Church in Palmyra, is staffed by our parish volunteers once a month.
- Angel Trees: At Christmas time, gift baskets of food and toys are prepared for local families which might not otherwise be able to afford a holiday meal and gift-giving.
- Baby Bottle Collection/Fundraiser for Care Net of Wayne County, whose mission is to provide compassion, hope, and help to women and men facing pregnancy decisions. Care Net presents women and men with realistic alternatives to abortion to empower them to choose life for their unborn children and abundant life for their families.
The Social Ministry Team meets on the 2nd Monday of every month @ 7:00 PM, except July/August, in St. Patrick’s Church hall.
If you find one of these ministries a meaningful expression of your faith, please contact the parish office or speak with a member of staff after one of the weekend liturgies.